Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28, 2014


I hope all is well! It was a great week to be alive - especially for my companion and I here in Pleasant Hill, California.

Funny story…the other day, my companion, Elder Irvine, and I had an opportunity to teach the restoration of the gospel to two men. The lesson was super awesome. The two guys were really interested, and they asked questions and participated very well during the lesson. The spirit was really strong. Their names are Harry and Eric. They’re best friends from high school, and there living in the same trailer. Eric has a mental disorder, and harry takes care of him. At the end of the meeting, Harry said he wanted us to come back when his girlfriend and his daughter could be home and teach them some more. This experience with these guys was awesome - except for one thing.

Before we left the apartment, I had a feeling that I should probably throw a Book of Mormon in my bag, because I had just given away the one I had on me. But then I thought - well, it’s not like we’re going to find anyone to teach, and besides, if we do then Elder Irvine will have one.

Well - he didn't either.

So here we are. In this awesome lesson - with somebody actually interested in hearing what the church has to offer - and we have no book of Mormon to give to them... I felt like a total fail missionary. And it was all my fault too. I had ignored a prompting from the spirit, and robed someone the blessings of reading the sacred scriptures.

I want to tell another story in contrast

Two weeks ago Elder Irvine and I were riding our bikes home one night from an appointment. We rode by this man outside, who was yelling at his wife - who had apparently locked herself in a minivan. We stopped for a second, and from the street, asked how he was doing. He totally cussed us out and told us to get lost. We probably shouldn't have, but we rode about 20ft down the street, and stopped, because it sounded like it was getting pretty heated. From what we could hear - the wife had cheated on him, and he was trying to kick her out of the house - with furry. He started getting pretty violent, so in a moment of panic, I prayed to heavenly father to know what we should do.  

Right after I prayed, Elder Irvine ran down to the neighbor’s house and knocked on the door. In my head I was like alright great. We’re going to call the police, and these neighbors are going to help us calm the crazy man down.

The neighbors totally ignored us. I honestly didn't know what to do. So I prayed some more

The spirit prompted me that I needed to do something. so out of faith (or insanity) I took up my bike, and rode around the bushes to go talk to the man - whose wife was now walking down the street crying. I said to him - “hi. We are representatives of Jesus Christ. we share a message of hope and healing" he walked right up to me with angry eyes and cursed at me some more. - I was bracing for impact.

I honestly can’t remember what I said after that. The spirit took over. I do remember though, that as we talked his whole attitude went from violent to peaceful. The spirit touched him. It was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve seen on my mission so far.

What a blessing it is to have the spirit. A comforter, a protector, a healer, a still small voice to guide us along paths of light and truth. What gratitude I have to my father in heaven for giving me the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I often think to myself - what is the spirit trying to tell me right now. What do I need to do? The spirit doesn't always come to me, and tell me every little detail of what I need to do and say. But that's okay. I know that when I’m choosing the right and doing good, then the consequences of my actions will be good. Because my faith is in God and I know that God will never guide you to do something evil or bad.

I know that if you listen with your heart and mind, then God will send the spirit to tell you what you need to know, when you need to know it. I know that as we courageously act on the promptings of the still small voice, the Lord will bless us - and He will be able to use us as instruments in his hands, to provoke change for good, in those we love and serve

I hope everyone has an awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Write to Joey:

Elder Joseph Patrick Allison
4945 Lincoln Way
Oakland, CA 94602

The Oakland Temple

The Oakland Temple
click image for temple details