The Itsy Bitsy Spider

Monday, April 13, 2015

Monday, April 13, 2015
This is about the only awesome thing that happened this week.
So, (not to throw anyone under the bus) but Saturday night we got a call from a member of our bishopric, who told us that they totally forgot to make assignments, and they have no speakers for church on Sunday, and they asked if we would speak ha-ha. So we said yes of course.
Due to our short time we had to plan, we weren't really prepared to fill an entire sacrament meeting with inspired words. We were a little bit nervous, so when my companion got up to speak first, I said a silent prayer to myself that he wouldn't be nervous, and that he would feel peace and have the holy ghost with him. (And that he would talk for a long time.)
About half way through my companions sermon though, I noticed a spider - about the size of a half dollar, crawling all over and around Elder Mahe's back and shoulders. I have no idea how it got there - and how he couldn't feel it. Another brother up on the stand saw it too, and we looked at each other with the same expression - oh no. What do we do? This is not the normal.
And here’s the miracle of the week -
The spider eventually crawled up on Elder Mahe's neck where he definitely felt it - He smashed it with his hand, looked at it to see what it was, and wiped the spider guts on his notebook where his talk was written - and without even hesitating or missing a word.
I think if that happened to me while I was giving a talk in church, I would probably stop drop and roll. The power of prayer works. My companion definitely was calm and peaceful, and had the Holy Ghost with him to get rid of the spider without making a scene. Missionaries: 1 Satan: 0
I testify that prayer works. And that Heavenly Father is more than willing, and wants to answer our righteous prayers. He may not always directly change your circumstances, but he will give you power and strength to change your own circumstances. And sometimes that power and strength is as small and subtle as the power to overcome a fear and smash that spider.
Hope everyone has a great week!
Elder Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Write to Joey:

Elder Joseph Patrick Allison
4945 Lincoln Way
Oakland, CA 94602

The Oakland Temple

The Oakland Temple
click image for temple details